Well, well, well, I'm a grad student and let me tell you a couple of things about being a grad student here:
(keep in mind, I plan on keeping my own counsel while being here so this blog is my only outlet of keeping it real...)
1. When I am done here, I am going to be such a better person: smarter, more disciplined, more creative, and it is really exciting. I cannot begin to tell you how incredible the first day of classes (subject, curriculum-wise) was. Specifically Theater Research, despite the demands of having to read 4 full books and write abstracts on them every 2 weeks (yup, that's over 20 full books I'm reading in just ONE class this semester), is really exciting purely because of what it means for the potential of my career.
2. When you are directing a show that all the kids want to be in cuz it's naughty, UNDERGRADS HAVE NO SHAME. We're talking running up to me when I'm walking through the hall, in the restroom, in the middle of an audition (!!!) to tell me how much they love the show blah blah blah. It's hysterical. Don't they know I've learned my lesson about not getting close to students?
4. Surprisingly, I feel really comfortable and not overly overwhelmed with all the work. I'm already done with my homework for all of Wednesday's classes and the skills of multi-tasking have come back. That said, Tuesdays and Thursdays are much bigger in my schedule, so I will blog again at the end of week with the revised version of this statement.
6. I'm in love with my advisor. A third year director has taken me under his wing. I went out for drinks with the new professor and did well schmoozing at a Department Potluck. I'm okay.
7. Here I am after a really long day with so much news and thoughts and analyses to make and all I really want is my friends and Happy Hour at Green Mill. I guess water at an internet cafe will have to do for now. Miss you guys!
8. I miss Ben. I miss Ben. I miss Ben.
Not bad for a first day, right? Much love!!!
Oh, and in case anyone was wondering how Lex is doing without me, he started school this week and is doing really, really well and freaking everyone the fuck out. Go Monkey Go! :)
1 comment:
Hooray! I'm a little jealous...this is the first time in 19 years that I'm not going to school. I already miss it. You'll do so well (we miss you already).
I've begun blogging again, I almost gave up..but I'm gonna keep trying.
Post a Comment