Monday, October 27, 2008

An update for those who hassle...

I just had my first night of rehearsal for 'See What I Wanna See' and it occurred to me that we may just pull this thing off.  For those of you who are thinking "Nikki, it's a musical, when have you not pulled off a musical", I have this to say:

1.  I have never been involved in such a musically complex show in my life.
2. I have never directed a musical that I can't pull out my choreography bag of tricks and make everything shiny and impressive.  This show has NO choreography.  
3.  This really is only the second musical I've ever directed on my own.  
4.  There is a lot at stake with this show: its a new genre of musical for our department, I have something to prove as far as my consistency and competency of directing goes, and the COMPOSER is coming.  (Though even if he weren't, I guarantee I would still be blogging this blog.  It's an important show to me no matter what the extended circumstances may be.)
5.  It's a piece that I am in love with and at the same time, I don't know that I am going to really get it until it's on its feet.  Every time I read it or hear it, I think it's about something new.  

But anyway, the actors tonight really worked hard and are on the same page as me.  I believe that together with the team and the cast, there is enough magic to make it happen.  

That said, can I just say how great it was to be back in rehearsal after my two month break?  I have had a few rehearsal here and there for Abiyoyo, but have been mainly out of the studio since I left Duluth and the glory of High School Musical (read the sarcasm in there, please).  I loved my time off and felt really recharged going back in!  Maybe it IS good to take a break from time to time...Hmmm....

SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE plays Nov. 20-23--Come check it out!!  (Even if you don't have to, George.)

1 comment:

Curyusgrg said...

I thought the whole blog was gonna be just for me! DECEIVER!! Of course I will come see it. . . I have to.