Rather than bemoan the obvious tragedy of this situation, I thought I would tell you a story that made me love him. ...because frankly, I can't handle thinking about it too much. This story is called:
Terry Saves the Day!
Last winter, in a moment of idiocy, I locked my keys in my house. It was a Saturday night. I called my landlord--out of town. I called a locksmith--$120. So I decided I would go on with my evening of going to see a Music Dept concert and figure something out. Lo and behold, halfway through the show, I thought, "There is a fully functioning shop full of ladders behind that wall!" I know...genius. So I grabbed 2 of my friends, stole a ladder and roped it on top of my Jeep. Then we went and had a drink to warm us up...it was winter afterall and we had to gather some courage to scale the side of my house and I was wearing heels.
Well, around 11pm, we pulled up to my house and walked through the snow with our newly acquired ladder and 2 of the 3 of us made an attempt--mine was the most effective but also probably the most ridiculous. While I was on the top of the ladder, fan-kicking my leg up to the lower part of the roof to get up (in heels), one of my friends literally yelled, "This is stupid! Let's call Terry!" and did.
Terry was at my house in his big truck in less than 5 minutes. He walked to the back of my house, propped up the ladder on the opposite wall, walked up it easily, shimmied open my window, and was through the front door and down the stairs before I even got back around to the front of the house. The only thing that broke his stride from on the way back to his truck was the pause he took to give me a dirty look when I tried to offer him money for his help. When we invited him to stay and hang and have a drink, he said he couldn't because he had promised to be sober cab to many people who were at a department party down the hill. And then he left. You know, to go take care of some more people.
The next day at rehearsal for Rabbit Hole, I walked in, he looked at me and just started laughing. He said, "You have got to be dumbest smart girl I've ever met."
Like I said, if anyone can pull through this, it's him. Please include him in your prayers. We need the few heroes we've got.
2 comments:
this is a sweet story. hope your friend is ok?
He is doing much, much better. Thank you. :) Looks like it will be a full recovery with time.
Post a Comment