
The henna is never leaving apparently and I am traveling again. It's Sunday 1pmish. I was on a bus less than 48 hours ago, leaving the Immersion. I went back to the city to spend some heart-to-heart time with my old college roommates. Now I am back on a bus, going to see another dear one, Allen. From there, I am back to the city for a little bit more living, then to Mankato to support my friend's thesis play, then to St. Cloud to repack for the fall, then back to Duluth. I finally received word today that I may potentially have a place to live when I get there. If not, I am sure something else will work too. It always does. I just realized at the greyhound station that today marks my 4 month anniversary of suitcase living. I left Mankato May 12 and since then have been on the road, out of the back of a van, a jeep or a big suitcase. The amazing thing is that around month 3, it got to be too much and now entering month 4...it seems pretty natural. Subway stations are a pain with my 40 pound suit case, but other than that, I am learning a lot about myself. Like I need to pack even lighter. Which seems true on many levels. Less baggage is a good thing. And I've learned about the community that is out there. Cuz there is one if you want to be a part of it.
The irony is not lost on me that the same 4 months of true gypsy life have also coincided with 4 months in various stages of heartbreak for various reasons and loss of direction. While the previous March, April and first bit of May could easily be marked as the best of my life, life is a balance and these things happen. Besides I have always fancied a metaphorical life...
But while I can finally say is that as I write this from a crowded Greyhound bus full of strangers going their own path, I am most assuredly on my own. And it is right. And while I may not be necessarily "settling down" or "finding a new home" any time soon, I am coming out of the heartbreak finally.
And I AM at home in my skin. Which is going to have to be enough of a home for right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment