Sunday, April 15, 2007

why i gotta be about change...

Miles Davis said, "If you wanna be an artist, you gotta be about change."

The man is briliiant, obviously a genius, but I wish he would give a few hints on how to change effortlessly, without drama, without grieving, without uncertainty. As if, we artists, we who strive to bring clarity and revolution to the masses, or at the very least, entertainment to the status quo, we should be able to change and watch our relationships change and be a catalyst for change...without the pain that so often accompanies it.

In the month of March alone, I watched my life change in more ways that I ever saw coming. New opportunities, loss of old friends, amazing gifts, hurtful actions. The ebb and flow of life, huh? The absolute, undeniable pendulum that is this journey is at times heart-breaking, inspiring, comedy and tragedy all within one deep inhalation of good, clean Minnesotan air.

And it's all stil changing. New doors are opening in old friendships, and it might be time to shut old doors for good, no matter how many years I spent walking into them, I just don't trust the light right now. And it's all still changing. New habits being born out of rejection to the past, old habits whisper for me to come back, and maybe I should. And it's all still changing. Another month may pass with me being able to say, dang, my whole world just changed again...and that would make it the fifth month in a row of new worlds, but it's all good...

Because I'm an artist. So I gotta be about change.

No comments: