I found this image on postsecret, my new favorite website (thank you, Chrissy!) but it seemed poignant right now. Chris turned 33 yesterday. He is in Kuwait and feeling bored as his unit is out on missions and he is stuck on base due to seniority issues, I think. I know that he is coming home, so I'm pretty okay with it, but last week my family lost someone.
20 year old James Wertish was killed over a week ago in Iraq. His dad rents our farm, his mom does my grandma's hair, his family is interwoven with mine on many levels--I have never met him. I still mourn him though. Perhaps because his death made it real to me, this ridiculous non-stop war, or perhaps at the futility and tragedy of it all, I'm not sure.
My grandma told me that his mother had just received a thank note a few days before his death from him. She had sent him a box of monster cookies because he was homesick and he had enjoyed the surprise. It's just freaking sad.
So, Brother, be safe! Wherever you are, happy birthday. I miss you like crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment