Two months today, 14 classes taken of hot yoga, which allegedly burns 800 calories a class....And I don't look like that chick above yet.
But in the last two weeks, I DO feel like HER when I do it.
And I have achieved to some degree or at least once every position on this chart with some sort of form and mastery. (Second to bottom row, third one in from left to right is totally missing from my rep and I am really okay with that. I can headstand now, for fuck's sake! I'm happy!)Some revelations I've had through the sweat:
1. Dancing has nothing to do with yoga. Being good at one does not mean you are automatically good at the other.
2. The first time you see your shins dripping rivers of sweat makes you realize that you've never REALLY sweat before.
3. Some people are really happy completely nude. And those people all go to hot yoga class. After two months in the dressing rooms of Corepower Yoga studios across the metro, I feel like a connoisseur of naked women. They are everywhere, with all kinds of curves and comfort and coiffing choices. It used to make me really uncomfortable, but I had a huge breakthrough this week when I was able to respond to a completely naked woman greeting me as I too was topless. Felt good. In the freeing sense, that is.
4. I feel strong. I do not feel flexible. This is opposite to how I feel in every other work out medium.
5. Yoga has become a sort of church for me. It starts with cleansing breaths and intention setting, you then work so hard you could cry and you sweat until you think there's nothing left of you, and then you meditate together. Finally every one says "Namaste" to each other. Kinda like "Amen", no? Well, for me, former Catholic school girl who renounced the Church almost 15 years ago, I have found myself praying a lot lately. Maybe because it reminds me of India, maybe because at least two times a week someone asks me to think about a higher power, maybe because I am back in a place where I have total faith in the greater power...whatever it is...I like it.
6. Did I mention the naked chicks yet?
Namaste...
1 comment:
hahahahaaha
Whenever a yoga class ends, I have to fight replying to "Namaste" by saying "And also with you."
Ah, Catholicism.
Post a Comment