Saturday, April 14, 2007

why i love uptown...


1. Sometimes I come home to peace rallys and activism in its most beautiful form and it's freakin' inspiring and powerful to be around.

2. All the cool kids live here...more importantly, I live within 2 blocks of 6 of my favorite people in this world so I never have to get in my car on weekends. Fun is a block and a half away!!

3. There are multiple lakes to walk (or bike) around within 4 blocks of my house. You can get sweaty and have a mad workout or you can leisurely stroll. Everyone's doin' it! And I have never gone down to one of the lakes without seeing at least one person that is completely fascinating...which leads me to

4. People watching is better in Uptown than anywhere else in the Metro area. If anyone wants to debate this, bring it and we'll compare. Last week alone, I was approached by a man wanting to do my Tarot with Elvis Tarrot cards, I saw two people (one of them a total punk, mohawk and all, the other could have been an accountant by aesthetic standards) engaged in some serious mouth babies on a park bench in front of my house, I made a deal with 2 Pakistani neighbors that for a new cell phone, I would teach their wives Pilates, and ran into someone I knew from high school in Marshall. Top that.

5. My apartment is across the street from the best happy hour and PhotoHunt in town AND the Uptown Diner, home of the best veggie burger in the universe...though this may become or be percieved as a problem by some.:)

6. You can participate in actual city-living here...like public transportation. Taxis and city buses are gifts for the urban--take advantage, people! Musicians play on the street, multiple languages are spoken all around you, everything you could concievably need is within the nieghborhood--it's a city, god bless it.

7. Broke? Bored? Crabby? Go for a walk, go window-shopping, grab a coffee and observe. You WILL meet someone new, you WILL hear or see something amazing, you WILL rise above your current status.

8. It's been home to me for a long time, ever since Arts High really. Whenever I came to Minnapolis, I had to go to Uptown. When I finally moved here, I had to live in Uptown. That was my only pre-requisite and the only thing I knew for sure at that point in my life. I had to live in Uptown. I was totally right. It's been everything I thought it would be. HOME!!!



Can you tell I'm just beginning to realize that I'm leaving again? I feel like I just got here.

But such is the life of a gypsy...

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I love me some uptown. My building and outrageous landlords are kind of my embodiment of this place. They're the coolest. Meeting for lunch/drinks/photohunt/family-night/
snowparties and oscar parties will be greatly missed.